Do you need an emergency medical transportation? AEROAFFAIRES responds to your request for medical flights worldwide.
In the event of an accident or illness in a foreign country, it can happen that the care offered or the quality of treatment is not optimal. It is then preferable to travel urgently to another country or to your country of origin to benefit from the best care. Thanks to our large network of private jets and helicopters, we can set up your medicalized and secure flight, adapted to each situation.
Of the 4.4 billion international travellers in 2018, 300,000 flights were made to meet a health emergency. Within business aviation, medical transport (EVASAN) accounts for 30% of flights made by private jets (VIP transport, air freight). In the majority of cases, when an ambulance aircraft is requisitioned by medical teams, it is because the patient’s state of health does not allow him to fly with an airliner (Not Fit To Fly). Indeed, air evacuation by private jet is the solution of last resort. It avoids the risk of diverting a commercial aircraft for a landing at an airport far from the destination desired by the passenger in need of care.
We tell you everything you need to know about a medical flight and why transport by medical aircraft offers many advantages.
What is a sanitation flight?
A medical flight is an air transport of people for medical needs. Usually called “airborne medical assistance”, a medical airplane makes it possible to transport a patient as quickly as possible while providing the best possible care. It therefore responds to an emergency problem in a sometimes critical health context.
The medical flight meets several needs:
- Medical repatriation (RAPASAN)
- Medical evacuation (EVASAN)
- Sanitary transport
- Medical tourism
- Pediatric or incubator transport
- Body transport
- Organ transport
What is a medical plane?
A medical airplane or air ambulance airplane allows the patient to travel quickly and safely over medium and long distances. Conventional private jets are reconfigured and transformed in order to perform medical operations on board.
Our fleet of aircraft allows us to adapt to all patient diagnoses. Whether a private jet or a turboprop, all our aircraft are medically configured to accommodate the most critical cases. The aircraft are specially prepared to offer intensive medical care and specific on-board personnel.
Medical devices are added on board the aircraft if necessary. And the medical team can be supplemented to ensure safe evacuation in the event of a life-threatening situation. We adapt to each patient’s situation.
What are the advantages of medical aircraft?
The air ambulance plane offers many advantages for patients:
Your flight is fast and comfortable
A flight in a medical aircraft is carried out in a private jet such as a Falcon 8X or a Falcon 900, particularly in the case of evacuations from the West Indies to France. These modern aircraft equipped with the latest technology allow a fast, silent and calm flight.
A flexibility offered by business aviation
Medical aviation adapts to the needs of the patients and according to the vital urgency. Take-off times are flexible and the aircraft can be chartered in less than 2 hours. You then fly directly to your final destination non-stop.
Extensive accessibility to airports and airfields
Indeed, many airliners cannot land at all airports. Thanks to medical aviation, patients and medical teams can travel to more than 3,000 destinations. For example, the Pilatus PC-12 turboprop is a popular aircraft in remote areas for medical evacuations (EVASAN). This allows you to take off and land at provincial airfields with short runways, as close as possible to your medical facility.
An ultra-secure flight in a medical aircraft
In the case of a life-threatening prognosis, different solutions can be implemented to ensure the smooth running of the journey. First of all, the cabin pressure can be adjusted to have the same level of pressure as on the ground. In addition, with a medicalized flight, you are accompanied by a team of doctors and nurses dedicated to stabilizing the patient’s state of health. Finally, in case of complications during the flight, the plane can land in emergency at the nearest airport.
What are the differences with an airliner?
The medical flight by airliner is the most economical solution but does not offer any of the services offered by the medical aircraft.
- Your flight in an airliner will be in 2nd class on a stretcher or in business class in a couchette seat.
- The medical follow-up offered is less important. You have the possibility of being accompanied by a medical team but no intervention and no intensive care aircraft can be put on board.
- You are dependent on the flights schedule and airports offered by conventional airlines. And for long distances, stopovers are usually made, which can be stressful for the patient.
- The cabin pressure on a commercial flight cannot be optimized. Depending on the type of trauma, too great a gap with the pressure on the ground can cause pain and sometimes complications.
- In view of your state of health and your assistance company, a medical flight in an airliner may be a good alternative. Depending on the emergency and the patient’s state of health, a medical flight with a dedicated aircraft will be the only solution, particularly in the case of seriously injured people who are not allowed to fly on a commercial airline.
Our medical flight services
We cover all medical needs and find solutions quickly for the most extreme cases:
Medical repatriation (RAPASAN)
A health repatriation is a transport of people with health problems to their country or town of origin. Repatriation is carried out to offer better quality care or better follow-up at the patient’s place of residence.
Medical evacuation (EVASAN)
Generally used in the military field, the term “medical evacuation” is also used in the civilian field to refer to the evacuation of an injured or ill person to provide appropriate care. The main challenge of a medevac is the urgency of the situation. Evacuation is related to war, pandemic, or the inability to provide the necessary care. A medical aircraft is then chartered to leave this dangerous area and reach the nearest appropriate medical facility.
- Medical transport by plane (MEDEVAC)
Medical transport is the transfer of an injured or sick person between a point A and B of your choice. The aim is to move a patient to be transported to another establishment chosen by this care. From London to Bordeaux, from Milan to Zurich, we can respond to all your requests regardless of the country you are in and the country in which you wish to be hospitalised.
Medical tourism in air ambulance
If you wish to leave your home country to perform a medical operation abroad, choose medical tourism. Many patients choose to be hospitalized in a foreign country for a variety of reasons: lower costs, quality of care offered, medical capacities and authorizations. Thus, many French people choose countries such as Switzerland, Austria or Israel for cosmetic surgery, dental surgery or infertility treatment. Thanks to travel by medical airplane, you will be able to enjoy a flight in optimal comfort.
- Pediatric or incubator transport by medical aircraft
A young child or even a newborn child who has been involved in an accident while on holiday will not always be able to benefit from appropriate care in all establishments. Carrying out an EVASAN or RAPASAN can be decisive for your child’s health. Babies in particular, have a fragile organism, it is very delicate to transport them. We then place at your disposal a medical team specialized in children’s medicine. In the case of a premature delivery in an unsuitable hospital, you can ask for a medicalized transport in which an incubator will be installed to maintain your child in good health for the time of the transfer. Our equipment is at the cutting edge of technology and will ensure that you travel with complete peace of mind.
- Medical airplane body transport
The repatriation of a body or a funeral urn involves a lot of logistics and authorizations. In this sad situation, our experts are at your disposal 24/7 and take care of all the necessary formalities for the transport of the body by a medical private jet.
- Organ transport by ambulance plane
Organ transport is very delicate and responds to important issues of speed, hygiene and preservation. Our team provides you with turboprops and helicopters capable of landing as close as possible to the medical establishment.
Organization of medical transport
- Our airplanes and helicopters are available to a wide variety of customers:
- Uninsured individuals
- Assistance companies (International SOS, Europ Assistance, Mondial Assistance…)
- Companies and industries
- Hospitals, Clinics and SAMU (APHP Paris, MEDAIR, TURPAN…)
- Embassies and Governments
- Insurance and health mutuals (AXA, CHUBB, GENERALI, SWISSLIFE…)
- Non-Governmental Organisations (UN, UNICEF, Médecins du Monde, Médecins Sans Frontières…)
Conditions for a medical evacuation
Our doctors requisitioned for a medical flight assess the patient’s condition and decide whether the flight is feasible, necessary or mandatory.
Subtleties during RAPASAN or EVASAN flights have to be known:
- Our doctors are responsible for the patient’s condition. They are authorized to transport injured and sick people by plane and have very specific knowledge.
- The professional of the hospital of stay is relieved of all responsibilities. That is why our doctor is the only one who makes the decisions on medical flights. In the event of complications, our doctor will consult the family and the medical service of the hospital in order to make a decision.
- The responsibility of our expert means that the attending physician of the hospital of stay cannot prevent an EVASAN or RAPASAN.
Information required for chartering an ambulance plane
Our doctors need to know the complete history of the patient’s condition. It is essential that you communicate to us from the 1st exchange different elements in order to respond as quickly as possible to your request for a medicalized flight:
- The contact details of the doctor in charge of the patient.
- The contact details of the doctor and the hospital where the patient is going.
- The patient’s medical file.
In certain very specific cases, other information may be requested and forms to be completed. We are available 24/7 to answer your questions.
The benefits of our emergency air services
24-hour service: Our air experts are available 24/7 to answer your charter request and answer your questions. We also provide follow-up until the patient arrives home or at the hospital.
Bed to Bed Transfer: In addition to your medical flight, we prepare your transfer from the airport to the hospital by ambulance for a quick “bed to bed” transfer.
Special pressurization: A change in atmospheric pressure can cause fatal complications for certain diseases. Our aircraft are equipped with special technology to modify the pressure in flight and ensure a safe transfer.
Administrative support and complete translation of important documents: Our network of partners gives us access to a sworn interpreter who will accompany you throughout your flight abroad. In addition, we accompany and advise you on entering a country and setting up a specific medical service.
Price of a medical flight
We offer quality medical and sanitary flights at the best price. We answer all your requests and we make sure that your journey runs smoothly. Our large fleet of aircraft allows us to adapt while being reactive to the least of your needs.
- As a result, flight prices vary according to several factors:
- The type of plane;
- The medical devices and treatments required on board;
- The distance to be covered;
- Additional services.
Sanitary flight between Marrakech and Paris
Price from 15 000€
Aircraft type : Falcon 100
Type of service: EVASAN
Flight time: 3 hours
Our flight experts are at your disposal 24/7 to find your sanitary flight. Contact us at any time on +33 (0) 1 44 09 91 82.