Royal Naval Air Station Culdrose : introduction
Royal Naval Air Station Culdrose, also known as HMS Seahawk, is open to military air traffic.
Located in the county of Cornwall, 2.8 km 2.7 km from Helston, it can accommodate helicopters of all types, light jets, midsize, long-range and turboprop aircraft. It is one of the largest helicopter bases in Europe.
AEROAFFAIRES tells you everything you need to know about organising your flight from RNAS Culdrose.
History of RNAS Culdrose
- 1942 : Admiralty surveyors begin preliminary land surveys.
- 1947 : RNAS Culdrose is built by John Laing & Son[ and commissioned as HMS Seahawk five years after these initial surveys. The station was originally designed to be a wartime airfield for about ten years. Plans called for Culdrose to be used as a naval combat school, but it quickly developed other roles. These varied roles included testing of the Navy’s first jets, training of airborne early warning teams and a home base for carrier-based aircraft.
- 1958 : HMS Seahawk is awarded the Freedom of the Borough of Helston, a parade thanking the town is held and still takes place today.
- 1968 : It is designated for the PYTHON plan, the government’s continuity plan in the event of nuclear war.
- 2012 : The British Airways flight BAW2012 carrying the Olympic flame from Athens International Airport landed at RNAS Culdrose.
Location & access to RNAS Culdrose airbase
- Address : Mawgan, Helston TR12 6BB, United Kingdom
- Coordinates : 50° 05′ 10″ North / 5° 15′ 21″ West
- Altitude : 81.6m
Located 2.7km from Helston, it will take you approximately 10 minutes to reach by car from the town.
If you wish, AEROAFFAIRES can arrange your transfer by hiring a car with a private driver.
Practical information about RNAS Culdrose air base
RNAS Culdrose has three runways.
Coordinates for RNAS Culdrose
- Airport Code : EGDR
- Latitude : 50° 05′ 10″ N
- Longitude : 5° 15′ 21″ W
- Altitude : 81.6 metres
- Runway lengths : 1045m, 1055m and 1829m.
This airport can accommodate private aircraft and helicopters.
Recommendations on the town of Helston
Where to stay near the base?
During your stay in the UK, there are a number of hotels and guest houses available to accommodate you. However, AEROAFFAIRES recommends that you book a room at Carbis Bay, located approximately 34 minutes from the airport.
Price examples for private jet hire to and from RNAS Culdrose
RNAS Culdrose – Paris
- Aircraft category : Light private jet
- Duration : 1h10
- Number of passengers : 5 to 11 depending on the type of aircraft
- Price estimate : from €8,800
RNAS Culdrose – London
- Aircraft category : Turboprop
- Duration : 1h05
- Number of passengers : 7 to 8 depending on aircraft type
- Price estimate : from €7,850
Would you like to organise a business trip or a private family flight to or from RNAS Culdrose ?
Our team can book private jets certified in Public Transport and provide you with operational assistance before your departure and until your arrival at your destination, in complete confidentiality.
AEROAFFAIRES is also a committed company. To find out more, visit our SkyCO2 page on our commitment to biodiversity.
Our on-demand flight service is available 7/7-24H/24H; contact us on + 33 (0) 1 44 09 91 82. We can also be reached by email at email@example.com, or we will respond to your request for an online quote as soon as possible.