Benbecula : introduction
Benbecula Airport is an airfield on the island of Benbecula, Scotland. It is located near the village of Balivanich in the north of the island. It is one of the three main commercial airfields in the Outer Hebrides.
The airport offers regular flights to the Scottish mainland or to other Outer Hebrides islands. In addition to commercial flights, the airport provides emergency air ambulance flights and flights in support of the nearby missile test range.
AEROAFFAIRES tells you everything you need to know about arranging your flight to or from Benbecula Airport.
History of Benbecula Airfield
- 1936: first airfield, known as Balivanich airfield
- 1941-42 : During the Second World War, the airfield becomes RAF Benbecula.
- 1946: the airfield becomes Benbecula Airfield
Location & access to Benbecula airfield
- Address: Balivanich, Benbecula HS7 5LW, UK Benbecula Airfield
- Coordinates: 57° 28′ 51″ North, 7° 21′ 47″ West
- Altitude: 6 metres
- Access: The airfield is easily accessible by car or taxi.
It will take you an average of 10 minutes to reach Balivanich.
AEROAFFAIRES will be happy to book a vehicle with a driver for you. Whatever type of car you need (Mercedes S Class, VIANO, Limousine), its driver will be waiting for you on your arrival and will drive you to your meeting place, or will be at your disposal during your stay.
Practical information about Benbecula airfield
The airport has two runways:
- a long runway of 1,836 metres
- a second runway of 1,220 metres
Coordinates of Benbecula aerodrome
- Airport Code : BEB
- Latitude : 57° 28′ 51″ N
- Longitude : 7° 21′ 47″ W
This airport is open to commercial and medical traffic, and can also accommodate private aircraft.
Recommendations on Benbecula Island
What to do in Benbecula?
First of all, take a stroll through the streets of Balivanich, the main village of the island. Next, you can head to Culla Bay beach. This beautiful white sandy beach is easily accessible from Nunton or Aird.