Fairford Airport : introduction
Fairford Airport, known as Royal Air Force Fairford, is open to military air traffic.
Located 900m from the centre of Coningsby, Gloucestershire, it can accommodate all types of aircraft, whatever their cargo, from very light jets to turboprops.
AEROAFFAIRES tells you everything you need to know about planning your flight from RAF Fairford Airport.
History of Fairford Airport
- 1944 : the airport was built to accommodate British and American gliders for the Normandy landing. In the same year it was used to transport British troops during Operation Market Garden.
- 1947 : The base is selected to receive Strategic Air Command units.
- 1948 : RAF Fairford is occupied by Soviet troops as a deterrent to the Soviet threat in Europe.
- 1950 : The airfield is transferred to the United States Air Force for strategic bombing operations. A 3,000 metre runway is built.
- 1953 : The runway is completed and used for the first time by the Convair B-36 Peacemaker aircraft.
- 1969 : The runway is chosen as the British test centre for the Concorde aircraft.
- 1991 : The airport is used for the First Gulf War.
- 1999 : The base is used again for the military operation “Allied Force”.
- 2003 : the last major use was for the Iraq war.
- Since 2014 : regular heavy bomber exercises are organised.
Location & access to RAF Fairford Airport
- Address : Fairford GL7 4DL, United Kingdom
- Coordinates : 51° 40′ 56″ North / 1° 47′ 24″ West
- Altitude : 87m
Located 600 metres from the town centre, it will take you approximately 3 minutes to reach by car.
If you wish, AEROAFFAIRES can arrange your transfer by hiring a car with a private driver.
Practical information about Fairford Airport
RAF Fairford has one airstrip.
Contact details for RAF Fairford Airport
- Airport Code : FFD
- Latitude : 51° 40′ 56″ N
- Longitude : 1° 47′ 24″ W
- Altitude : 87 m
- Runway length : 3,046 m.
This airport can accommodate private aircraft.
Recommendations for the area around Fairford
Where to stay in Bedfordshire ?
During your stay, there are a number of hotels and bed and breakfasts available to accommodate you. However, AEROAFFAIRES recommends that you book a room at Calcot & Spa, located in Tetbury, about 39 minutes from the airport.
Price examples for private jet charter to and from RAF Fairford
RAF Fairford – Paris
- Aircraft Category : Light Private Jet
- Duration : 55 minutes
- Number of passengers : 4 to 11 depending on the aircraft type
- Price estimate : from €8,100
RAF Fairford – London
- Aircraft category : Turboprop
- Duration : 35 min
- Number of passengers : 5 to 8 depending on aircraft type
- Price estimate : from €3,950
RAF Fairford – Berlin
- Aircraft category : Light private jet
- Duration : 1h45
- Number of passengers : 4 to 11 depending on aircraft type
- Price estimate : from €13,150
RAF Fairford – Rome
- Aircraft category : Turboprop
- Duration : 3h25
- Number of passengers : 4 to 19 depending on aircraft type
- Estimated price : from €12,550
Would you like to organise a business trip or a private family flight to or from RAF Fairford ?
Our team can book private jets certified in Public Transport and provide you with operational assistance before your departure and until your arrival at your destination, in complete confidentiality.
AEROAFFAIRES is also a committed company. To find out more, visit our SkyCO2 page on our commitment to biodiversity.
Our on-demand flight service is available 7/7-24H/24H; contact us on + 33 (0) 1 44 09 91 82. We can also be reached by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or we will respond to your request for an online quote as soon as possible.