Description of ATL-98 CARVAIR
You would like to know more about the Carvair ATL-98?
The ATL-98 cargo aircraft is no longer in service but it could carry 18 tons, including 20 passengers and five cars. It was originally built for the transport of cars, as the capacity of the Bristol Freighters was insufficient.
Aviation Traders Limited (ATL) was a British aviation company responsible for the delivery of aircrafts during the Second World War. The Carvair ATL-98 was built from a Douglas DC-4 airliner, a former warplane used from 1942 to 1945, and then during the Berlin blockade in 1948. The old DC-4s were sold for about 1 million euros.
The modifications included extending the fuselage forward, changing the cockpit and putting more powerful brakes. The first flight took place in June 1961 and the Carvair entered service in 1963.
Twenty one models were then sold to various airlines such as Channel Air Bridge, British United Air Ferries and Aviaco. Eight planes were destroyed in flight accidents.
The Carvair also appeared in the James Bond movie Goldfinger (1964).
In 2008, only one Carvair remained in flight condition.