Description of ILYUSHIN IL-76TD
The ILYUSHIN IL-76TD is a cargo aircraft designed by the Russian aircraft manufacturer Ilyushin Aviation Complex, Ilyushin. It is a large aircraft designed for military transport.
ILYUSHIN IL-76T & IL-76TD : a few history
The Russian aircraft manufacturer started the construction program in 1960. However, it was in 1967 that the Ilyushin IL-76T aircraft was designed.
On March 25, 1971, the IL-76T aircraft made its first flight. It will take three years before the production is launched: in 1974.
In 1976, these IL-76TD military cargo aircraft joined the civilian sphere and performed civilian air cargo missions.
ILYUSHIN IL-76TD :
Some key figures :
- 960 : number of IL-76TD produced
- 4 : number of engines of IL-76TD cargo plane
- 3,800 km: range of the IL-76TD jumbo jet with a maximum load on board.
- 125 : number of parachutists that the aircraft can carry
- 20 m : length of the cargo compartment
Features of the ILYUSHIN IL-76TD :
Its imposing size gives it a competitive advantage over aircraft such as the Antonov AN-12, which it will replace, or the Airbus Beluga.
The IL-76TD aircraft was designed to land on short runways despite its imposing body.
Several versions have been developed:
- Ilyushin Il-78 : tanker aircraft
- Ilyushin Il-76 T : civil transport version
- Il-76MD-M : military version
- IL-76 VKP : airborne command post